LAST-MINUTE JUSTICE POLICY CHANGES AS 2016 COMES TO AN END
With the 2015-2016 Michigan Legislative Season coming to a close, there is a lot of good—and bad—news about what made it through to Gov. Snyder’s desk during the last few weeks of session. Major changes include:
- Erasure of the antiquated zero-tolerance policy in schools;
- Limited use of seclusion and restraint in schools;
- Decriminalization of youthful behavior for those charged with a minor in possession;
- Compensation and reentry services for the wrongfully imprisoned;
- A prohibition on vetoing parole by a successor judge and;
- Support and decriminalization of human trafficking victims charged with prostitution.